Monday, September 14, 2009

Read the Box!!!

So a funny thing happened while my mom was here last week. Something very "typical Niki".

Now, for my male readers out there, this might be too much info for you all, just a warning...

There's a little myth out there about not getting pregnant while you're breastfeeding. I'm not sure if this is in fact myth or truth, but I've been told by 2 doctors, a mother-in-law and a few friends that it does happen. You see I breast fed Jack for almost 11 months. I didn't have a "cycle" the whole entire time. I wasn't on any type of birth control because I hate taking the pill and Tom and I both wanted more babies and went with the thought that if it happens, it happens. Why try to take all the fun out of it and plan it. Hahahha! So for a whole year I breastfed and didn't get knocked up. After Ty came along my OBGYN gave me the talk along with my family doctor and it's come up in a few conversations with parents and friends. And you know how you can jinx things if you talk about it enough right??? Well I thought that it was weird that people kept bringing it up to me.
Anyway, The Monday that my mom was here, I noticed that I was breaking out really bad on my cheeks and forehead. This is exactly what happened when I was pregnant with Ty. (Tom was the one who pointed that little factoid out. How sweet! hahah) So with Tom's reminder of my skin condition while preggers and all these random talks about getting knocked up while breastfeeding I thought....could it be? Holy crap-olies could I be pregnant?? So Monday night before bed I took a nice little at home test. As Tom's all nestled into bed ready for a good night's sleep, I'm anxiously waiting to see the results. And in super sonic speed those two little lines popped right up. HOLY CRAP! I busted out of the bathroom and showed Tom the test and said, "Baby, I think I'm pregnant". Now at this very moment a million things ran through my head. My quick math skills showed that I'd be due around Ty's first birthday! OMG!!! Next June is going to be a crazy month anyway....you see, Tom graduates, and we move who knows where with an almost 3 year old, a one year old, 2 dogs and now possibly a new born.....Let the deep breathing continue.... Tom looks at the test, sees the 2 lines and says in his calmest voice ever...."really? Ok. Ok.Wow. really?" HAHAH! I then hand him the box and I pace around the room for awhile thinking who should I curse for jinxing my fertileness???? And wow, how amazing! Then Tom says..."Ummm....Niki, this is an ovulation test". WHAT??? That's right people, NOT pregnant.....just ovulating!!! (The next morning started off with a trip to the grocery store and taking an actual pregnancy test...it was NOT positive) So what lesson did we learn from this???? ALWAYS READ THE BOX!!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's hysterical! You also learned that if you were pregnant you would be happy:) I thought I may be prego again right before we found out if Brian's surgery had taken and I cried for two days straight when no one was looking. I was pretty sure I was done at two kids - but after the scare and constant crying I knew we made the right decision. Can't wait to hear about another happy announcement for you in the future!!

Sara said...

Oh my, Niki! That is a fabulous story!

I have to add my $.02 here... you absolutely can get pregnant while breastfeed exclusively. I got my first cycle seven weeks after Lily arrived. You never know when that first cycle is going to kick in. :)

Meagan said...

Hahahahahahahaha (deep breath) hahahahahahah!
Don't you dare get preggo until you move closer to me! Maybe for once we can be preggers together.