Monday, June 13, 2011

Gone fishing...

Tom and I took the boys fishing for the first time yesterday. We met one of Tom's co-workers at a little lake in E-town. I haven't been fishing in over 20 years and I believe the same goes for Tom. We had such a great time.

The super hot weather broke here over the weekend so it was a cool 80 degrees and overcast which was nice. Ty wasn't into fishing so much but throwing rocks into the spill way was all he needed. Jack fished for awhile and actually caught a blue gill. His attention span didn't last too long. He'd cast his line, then go help Ty throw rocks then when something bit, he'd come running back to reel it in. His little Transformers fishing rod did pretty well. I think Jack's favorite thing was making friends with the worms. Hahahah! He would dig a worm out of the container, play with him for a little bit then give him a new home in the cup holder of the folding chair. One time I looked and there were 4 worms in the cup holder. I was actually really surprised that he was all over the worms like he was. Ty's more fearless than Jack, but not when it came to the worms or even the fish. Jack touched all the fish we caught and even threw back a few of the blue gills. I was pretty proud of him. He does have a huge interest in all kinds of animals and bugs. He had a great time! Ty loved helping me reel in the line but would take off when we'd catch a fish. He wouldn't hold a worm either but did spend about 20 minutes chasing and picking up ants. Of course he was as gentle as a 2 year old could be so my apologies to that ant colony. :-) Tom started out a little rough with his first cast going straight into a tree and having to break his line free. hahahaha! He did redeem himself though. First off, he surprised me with baiting his own hook. If anyone knows Tom....he doesn't do well with needles. I don't think he could let his boys see their mom hook a worm and not their dad. Hahahah! So this was a pretty big deal. Of course he was also the lucky fisherman of the day with the biggest catch. He caught a large mouth bass that was around 18 inches long. I caught a large mouth as well but it jumped off my line as I was about to pull it onto the dock. Bummer! Those were the only bass we saw, everything else we caught were little blue gills. We threw everything back but I think Tom would have mounted that bass he caught if we kept him. :-)
We had such a great day! I can't wait for all of us to go fishing again!

Bodie letting me know he wanted to fish too.

Prepping the rods

Throwing rocks

Ty picking up ants

Hooking the worm

Jack's first cast.

Ty helping me reel

Ty's alter ego...Elton John having a snack.

The first catch....and Ty's snack all over his sweet little face.

I love Jack's face in this picture!!

His friend Wormie #1.

Tom's big catch. Can you tell how excited he was??

Jack's big catch.

I think they were recapping the day's events.

1 comments:

Aunt Ree Ree said...

Nothing like a day fishing with the family. LOVE Ty's pic with the glasses. That kid cracks me up! You certainly can tell Tom was excited...he even SMILED in the photo!!!! Great pics. Keep them coming.Love yas!