Monday, December 1, 2008

Turkey day and decorations...

Well, it's been way too long since I've gotten the chance to blog. I technically don't even have the time right now since the pile of laundry is giving me the stink eye, but still, I choose blogging over laundry anyday.
I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. Tom, Jack, Sadie and I had a great weekend. Tom had all his classes canceled on Friday and I took the day off so we had a long weekend. I cooked way too much food, Jack loved all the fixings but wouldn't have missed the turkey. It was fun cooking a huge meal. With working we don't get to have good dinners everynight like when I was unemployed. I love cooking so it was fun for me. Plus who doesn't love the left over turkey sandwiches? So that was our Thursday.



On Friday we did some shopping. HOLY CRAP! I hate freakish holiday grumpy shoppers. There were 2 shootings around our area in CA on black friday. One of them was in a Toys R Us. Are you serious people?? My goal was to do all my shopping on line to avoid such crazies, I should have stayed with that original plan.
SO after recovering from that we spent all day Saturday decorating our house. We had to buy everything this year. All of our lights were German and we were in desperate need of some real decor. Jack loves the lights. We go outside every night to see the lights before bed. The weird thing is we were wearing shorts and t-shirts when we decorated. It was in the high 70s this weekend. Crazy when you're used to having seasons.


Sunday led us to the tree farm. Oh yeah...the tree farm. Funny thing about living in CA.....it's pretty darn expensive. We've had a fake tree the whole time we were in Schweinfurt so we were really excited to get a real tree for the first time. In good ol' PA an 8 ft tree runs about $30.00. Here in CA...that same tree, (I hate to admit that this is what we spent but I really really really wanted a real tree for the Christmassy smell)that same tree, $100.00. They even charged us $3.00 to have it wrapped up in a net. Are you kidding me?? But we wanted that tree. I love having a real tree. It's all about the pine smell. So all in all we had a great long weekend.





I have so much more to blog about....stay tuned!

5 comments:

Beth said...

Yay for nice, quiet, just us Thanksgivings.

Sara and I were just saying yesterday how you need to get back to blogging because we miss you and here you are!

And I am right there with you on the whole real tree thing. Sadly, I'm not sure if we'll be able to find one here. :(

Anonymous said...

Hey - love the pictures - how are you feeling?

My Mom was in town and we went to the DFAC. Everyone was sick the two days before so it just made things easy:)

Glad all is going so well for you, when does Tom finish school?

Meagan said...

Wait a mintue....where is the beer Christmas tree topper? You have gotten so classy since moving to CA.
The picture of you and Jack is so sweet. You look wonderful (and so did your turkey, your house and your tree)!

Ells said...

mmmm, turkey sandwiches!

I agree that it's weird to decorate and celebrate winter holidays in short sleeves... but so comfy. :) Also I'm totally with you on the Euro lights. We need to go shopping for some tree shine ourselves!

Fun to hear from you again!

Sara said...

Hahah! Buying a tree in Cali...I love it!

Jack, you are a handsome devil... oh, and your mom is lovely too in that pic of the pair of you. :)

We gave in to the whole artificial tree this year... houseing only wants us to keep a live tree for ten days or less... something about a fire hazard, I dunno. ;)

We miss you guys!