Sunday, October 12, 2008

Bringing home the bacon...

Well, it happened....I got a job! YEAH! It's a great job too. At least right now I think it is. It hasn't started yet. :-) It's one that's important and pays enough to cover the cost of child care and justifies putting Jack into day care. I will be the new CLEOS director for CYS here on post. For those non military people who read this I'll explain. CLEOS stands for Child and Youth Liaison for education and outreach services. Here in Monterey the job entails managing central registration. If you want child care or for your kiddo to play in sports you have to register them through this office. I will also be in charge of organizing the classes for the CYS staff members for their continuing education. And my favorite part of the job I'll be managing all the FCC homes. FCC is family child care. It's when the military gives you everything you need to run your own in home child care business. We're actually using this child care for Jack. Ms.Liliane will be watching Jack full time once I start working. I have to wait on background checks to come back so hopefully it won't be too long. She has 6 kids, and one on the way and is really nice and loves Jack. So the chips fell the right way and I have good child care for Jack and a great job! YEAH!!!
This is pretty big for me. Career options are limited for military spouses. We're always moving, not able to establish any seniority in jobs we have and are always starting over. Now don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining or whining I'm just saying how it is. I wouldn't change anything in my life. I love my life and every where it's taken us. It's just that it's pretty damn expensive out here and I want to work. Since we've been here I've applied for 14 jobs and only had 2 interviews. On one of those interviews I was asked if I was military. They aren't allowed to ask this, it's discrimination. Now I could be completely in the dark with what job I could really do but I'm thinking that once they saw on my resume that I was all the over the place for the last 10 years because we're military and they put 2 and 2 together that if you come to Monterey you'll only be here about 2 years total, they just passed right over me. Who wants to spend their money, time and resources on training someone for them to just have to do it all over again in 2 years. ARGH! Anyway...all is well and I'm entering the working world. YEAH!

3 comments:

Sara said...

Hey Congrats! That's great! Yay you and Yay Jack!

Interestingly enough... I think I'm going to be an FCC provider. You can let me know all the hoops I'm going to have to jump through. ;)

Beth said...

That is so great, Niki! Congrats. I hope it all works out and that the job is fun.

And just think, now you will have some extra money for all those things you like to buy on ebay. :)

Anonymous said...

That is so great! I'm sure you will love your new job and Jack will do wonderful at the FCC house:)