Tuesday, June 3, 2008

We have a home!!!

Well after MUCH frustration with military housing in Ca and my obsession with craigslist.org.....we found a house!!! YEAH FOR US! I am very much relieved and excited and can't wait to see it in person.
On Monday, I called the housing people and spoke to a manager about the loser agent we got stuck with. She told me she would have it resolved and get back to me in 1 hour. Unfortunately she had our slacker call us. He did call us in less than an hour, but that was all he could do. He then went PROMISED to call me back with 3 houses that are available for us to choose from and e-mail me pictures in another hour. That was yesterday at 1pm Eastern time. I just received an e-mail from him with only 1 house as an option and only 34 hours past his "promise". ARGH!!! Well, in that time we found a house on craigslist. Had 15 pictures sent to us by the landlord, had a lease faxed to us which I then signed and faxed back. So chew on that military housing office!
Our landlord is great!! His dad is a professor at NPS and he tries to rent to military families. He's a dog lover so Sadie is no issue and because we're military he waived the pet deposit and the application fee and process. Our rent is the same as if we were living on the military housing area. Here are a few pictures.

I was about to give up hope. All the houses we were finding on craigslist were either WAY too expensive, didn't take pets, or were too far away. This place is 3br/2 full bath, fenced yard, 2 car garage, fireplace, vaulted ceilings and my favorite thing....it comes with a dish washer! YEAH!!! hahahah It's the little things in life people! It has a pretty open floor plan for the dining room and living room area so lots of room for Jack to play. We're only 8 minutes from the beach and 10 minutes to NPS.
We actually e-mailed the owner last week and never heard back so I assumed it was no longer available. He was actually just out of town for a week and called us back yesterday. He said that we were the 2nd military family that was interested in the house and then there were a few civilian families also interested but he prefers to rent to military. So after a brief conversation and some info about the house and a promise of more pics via e-mail, I called Tom. We really liked it and didn't want to wait too long so I called the guy back about 5 minutes later and told him we'd take it! About 3 hours later he had our signed lease. YEAH!!! The landlord e-mailed and said that every thing went through and the house is ours and that not 5 minutes after he got off the phone with me the other military family called to say they'd take the house. Thank goodness for snap decisions!!
So now we have a house that's all our own (kind of) waiting for us to move in. We fly in to CA on the 29th and the house will be ready for us. I don't even think we'll need a hotel, we can move right in. YEAH!!! I'm so glad we don't have to worry about this anymore. I'm so tempted to call the housing office and talk to that manager again. She was really nice but should I tell her that this guy dropped the ball?? Not sure what to do. Anyway, we're the new residents of Del Rey Oaks, Ca!!!

3 comments:

Beth said...

YAY! Maybe I should start checking craigslist for places in OK? Your new house sounds wonderful. And yay for super-cool landlords. That makes everything so much better. I pray your move and everything goes well.

Sara said...

Sorry housing was giving you a bad time, that sucks. And it sucks not knowing where you are going to live, but you don't have that problem any more! Your new place looks awesome! Hmmm, maybe we'll have to come visit while we are in Cali in August. :)

Anonymous said...

Yes call the housing manager and let her know about him!

Awesome house - you are going to love it there! What are you doing about both cars if you're flying?

I know it will all go smoothly - have fun at the beach!!