Saturday, December 12, 2009

Caddyshack

It's been so dreary here lately. I think it's rained for the past 4 days. Our back yard is a mud pit and we haven't been able to play outside. I don't LOVE the cold, but I'd much rather have it snow than rain!! We can at least go out and play in the snow! With the backyard being so nasty the girls have been going out front. Yesterday I noticed this....




From what I'm told they're ground squirrels. I have yet to see this destructive rodent in person. It must lurk in the shadows like Batman. I've seen the holes in our yard before and Lola has taken up digging in the back to chase after these things. This is the worst our front yard has looked from them. It basically dug a trench along all of the concrete walls and steps. At the front of our bushes there's a little concrete curb and you can actually see the hole that goes under one side and comes out on the other side. There's a little ground squirrel underworld system of highways now occupying our pretty front yard. (in "pretty" I mean it's grass and not mud....I hate gardening!) It's kind of funny until you walk on the grass. There are all these little gullies where you sink 6 inches down because of them burrowing all over the place! Which totally freaks me out because I don't want to step on one! BLAHHHH! I'm half tempted to go Caddyshack crazy and start blowing them up!


In other news....Ty had his 6 month well baby appt. yesterday. Our little butterball is starting to balance out. He's now in the 75th percentile for weight instead of the 90th. He grew almost an inch and half in 6 weeks. Yeah for growing in length!!! Jack came along with us, something I hate to do since it's a clinic but with Tom in San Diego, that's what had to happen. It actually worked out because the clinic FINALLY got the H1N1 vaccine the day before. Jack had to get the nasal version. He was NOT a fan, but who is of getting something sprayed up your schnoz? He did great with it though not as good as Ty did with his 4 shots. The kid flinched but barely shed a tear! He's my tough guy! When we got home the shots wiped out both boys. Ty had a 4 hour nap. When Jack woke up he was miserable and not feeling so great. He really milked it too!!! But it's hard to fight the sad, pouty, groggy kid who says, "I sorry Mom" when I say...."Are you not feeling well??" Like he's doing something wrong for feeling crappy! Hahahah! So we cuddled him up on the couch with his blankets and stuffed animals and he got to watch some Word World and Sesame Street! When Ty woke up.....he was the happiest kid around. No crying, no whining, no moments of neediness. After 4 shots I thought for sure my day would be filled with cranky babies....not the case. Sweet surprise!!

Tom's also back from San Diego. We REALLY missed him! Jack was soooo excited to see him at the airport and pretty much tackled him when he came out of the gate. Now he just has to get through finals and we're off to PA in 4 days! YEAH!!!!





4 comments:

DiCello Family said...

i say bomb those rodents....not really. Every creature needs a home....blah, blah, blah! seriously though, i hope they're only seasonal!

I hear ya with the shots! It really breaks your heart to have to see them be stuck with needles. Sounds like Ty takes it like a champ. Anthony just had his 15 month shots yesterday, and it's the first time that I didn't cry with him. I'm not kidding....and I give babies needles every day at work. It's just SO different when it's your kid! Sounds like you have two big healthy, happy boys! We're looking forward to seeing you soon in Pottsville! Love, Faith

Ells said...

aw, poor kids! Super cute picture of the three 'kids' curled up on the couches, though!

Love the way you write (and talk), Niki - makes me miss you!!! Hope you can find a solution for those crazy yard-digging rodents!

Aunt ReeRee said...

4days...oh yeah...4 days....oh yeah!!! Those two poor kids aren't going to know what hit them when they get here....LOTS of hugs and kisses.

We have the same problem with voles in our yard. They dig tunnels too. Halley didn't care, but maybe Tiller will. We bought those sticks that make a sound and drive them away...worked too (until the batteries died.) They moved over into Gram and Pap's yard. We weren't too popular, but no more tunnels!!! Ha Ha

Beth said...

Shall I send the super team of Josh and Peavey down to help with your rodent problem? :)

Good luck with your finals, Tom. Have a great time in PA this holiday season.